Baking with Kids-- Gingerbread Men Cookies




"Snow Day! No school!" 

Probably my most favorite words to hear when I was a child. It meant we got to sleep in and didn't have to trudge through the rain and wind to the bus stop. That was my child hood. This morning when I told my kids that school was canceled. Instead of happiness and joy, I got sad pouty faces and whiney NOs. I couldn't believe my eyes, they rather be in school then at home all nice and cozy.

To help pass their time at home we decided to bake some gingerbread men cookies. I haven't made gingerbread cookies in years, so I wasn't sure if the cookies would turn out or not. I found a recipe on Taste of Home, which used all ingredients I had on hand. 
The recipe is great, the dough was perfect and the cookies kept their shape when baked. They are soft and have just the right amount of spice in them, and off course the most important thing of all is the that the kids love them. So this recipe is definitely a keeper. 

Print recipe Here

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter softened 
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
1 egg
2 TB water
2 2/3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice

Directions:
Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. 
Beat in molasses, egg and water. 
Add the water, flour, baking soda, salt and all the spices and mix until creamy. 
Divide the dough in half and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for atleast 30 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 350. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8 thickness. Cut with a gingerbread man cookie cutter. Place about 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. 

Bake 9-10 minutes and remove and cool on wire racks. Decorate with icing (recipe below)

Icing recipe:

2 cups of powdered sugar 
4 tsp milk
1 TB light corn syrup
1/2 tsp almond extract
food coloring of your choice. 

Directions:
In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in the corn syrup and almond extract until smooth and glossy. If icing is to thick, add more corn syrup and milk. If it is to runny, add more powdered sugar. 

Divide into separate bowls and add food coloring to each. Use piping bags to decorate your cookies. 






Thanks for visiting,



0 comments:

Post a Comment