Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins


As some of you may know, I have been on a mission to find wheat free recipes for my son. He has a wheat allergy along with a few other foods like apples and bananas. Yeah, the three things he ate the most every day, bread, bananas and apples!
I was at a loss at what to offer to him to eat, I bought a few different things from natural health food stores, but almost everything was inedible. Honestly, who buys this stuff? Just because you can't  have gluten, doesn't mean you should eat things that taste like cardboard. 

I make muffins once a week at our house, my kids eat them for a quick breakfast along with some fruit. Now that my son can't have wheat, I decided to find a gluten free recipe. I tried 2 last week and they were both fails.  I even bought a box of GF muffin mix which was highly rated, may I add.  Yet it tasted bitter and so dense.  I was getting pretty discouraged.

There are alot of recipes online which have you mix gluten free flours, I was not about to go buy 5 different flours and mix them together, I decided to try different flour blends instead. The first one I tried was gritty, but the 2nd one I bought was amazing! I love this flour! It feels and looks just like regular wheat flour. In fact I had to go back and check the bag to make sure it was gluten free :)
This flour blend is made with brown rice, tapioca starch, white rice, potato starch, sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, gaur gum, sweet rice, rice bran.

I love that it is already premixed so you don't have to mix gluten flours yourself. Amazon sells it for $15, but I found it for around $12 at my local health food store. 



To my muffins, I added some orange zest and fresh squeezed orange juice for an extra kick of flavor. They are so good, that don't taste gluten free at all. If you heat them up in the microwave for about 5-10 seconds, they will taste like you just pulled them out of the oven.

Print recipe HERE


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of blueberries (fresh of frozen)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Xanthan gum
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter SOFTENED
2 eggs
2tsp vanilla
1/2 cup of milk
1 TB fresh squeezed OJ
1TB orange zest

Crumble Topping:

2TB melted butter
2TB Pamela's flour
4 TB sugar



Instructions:

-Preheat oven to 350º. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease with cooking spray.
- Prepare the crumble topping by whisking the ingredients together in a small bowl.
-In a stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla, milk, orange juice/zest and continue beating until smooth. 
-Mix in the flour mixture, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt just until combined. 
-Gently fold in the blueberries. 
-Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full of batter. Sprinkle the crumb topping over each muffin. 
-Bake at 350º, for 25-30 minutes. Or until toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean. 
-Let muffins cook for about 5 minutes in the muffin pan, and then remove to a wire rack.



Thanks for visiting, 






SaveSave

0 comments:

Post a Comment