7 Layer Bars - Gluten Free Dessert



I recently found out that my son is allergic to wheat. After suffering with allergy symptoms for almost a year, his doctor referred us to a allergy clinic, where he had a scratch test done as well as some blood tests. Turns out he is allergic to a number of things, one of them was wheat! I really didn't want to accept the fact that he was allergic to wheat, because that is such a huge part of our diet. I even cut out all the other things on the list and still left wheat in his diet, although his symptoms got slightly better, he still wasn't well. So finally I decided it was time to try a wheat free diet, It has been one week and he is already so much better! I wish I would have tried this right after I got the results instead of waiting. 

Going wheat free for my son not something that is easy, but it is doable. I love to bake, and now I have to be creative with my choices to include some gluten free versions so my son can eat them. He loves the 7 layer bars I make, so I decided to make them with gluten free graham crackers, they taste exactly the same as the regular 7 layer bars! Definitely a crowd pleaser.


If you want to make these diary free, you can use coconut oil, 

Print Recipe HERE


Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter
Gluten graham crackers (7 oz) I used these
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 can (14 oz) condensed sweet milk
1 1/3 cup shredded coconut

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Place butter in a 13X9 inch pan and melt in the oven. Swirl to cover bottom and sides with butter. 


In a food processor, pulse the graham crackers until fine. Sprinkle over the melted butter evenly. 




Layer chocolate chip, butterscotch chips, nuts and coconut. 



Pour the condensed milk over the entire pan, as evenly as you can. 


Bake until the edges are slightly golden. About 18-20 minutes. 

Let cool completely and cut into bars. 


Friends, I need help. I have already tried a few different gluten free bread recipes and they did not turn out. They were dense and didn't rise at all. It is so disappointing to throw out all these failed breads, because gluten free flours are not cheap. 
I buy the white gluten free sandwich bread, but I wanted to bake him some rolls at least once a week to go with our dinners. There are frozen dinner rolls are my natural food store, but they are like $5 for 6 rolls!

So If you have any suggestions or advice,  I would love to hear it. 

Thanks,





4 comments:

  1. Just thought I would share, King Arthur Flour has a Measure for Measure gluten free flour that you can use in any non-yeast recipes just as you would a regular flour. I've found that it makes things easier because you can keep using the same recipes as before but they become gluten free, it's made with rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pick some up at my next trip to the grocery store. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Hi! My son was diagnosed with celiac about 1.5 years ago. I like to cook, but don’t bake too often…however, I have discovered that weighing GF flours is essential since they are all so different! If I’m not baking, then the GF Franz bread (I live in Beaverton!) is the best and you can find it in a 2-pack at Costco and we LOVE Brazi Bites (also at Costco) in place of dinner rolls. Good luck! Our whole family went GF and we actually really like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. He has been eating the GF Franz bread, it is spend, so I will look for it in Costco. I will have to look for the Brazi Bites to, he loves dinner rolls with his meals.

      Delete