Book Club#1- Bringing up Girls


A few of my friends and I decided to start a book club. We are going to be reading books that can help us learn and grow spiritually and emotionally.

This was actually our book from May, and I am just getting around to posting about it.

I figured that since we all had daughters, Bringing up Girls would be a great book to start with.

I was able to take away so much information from this book. In fact, I love owning books because I can highlight, add sticky notes on everything I want to remember. My daughter is young, and I thought that this book would not apply, but it does, it really does! I also see myself re-reading it a few years down the road to remind myself, why girls act the way they do. 

As soon as our children can talk, we need to be teaching them the fundamentals of faith. Dr Dobson uses personal examples to show how this looked in his own family, and Scriptural examples of fathers who were great men of the faith—but failed to pass it on to their children. He also shares lots of studies and statistics. 

Throughout the book, Dr. Dobson is brutally honest about the challenges that today’s parents face in raising their children with Christian values. In fact, I really got scared about my daughter going into high school (which would be in about 10 years!) But Isaiah 41:10 quickly popped into my head :
Fear not, for I am with you; Do not be afraid for I am your God, I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. I know that with Gods help and with advice given by Dr Dobson, I can be armed with the knowledge to raise a wonderful, God fearing girl. 

Phillipians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Dr Dobson says that it is important to build relationships with kids from their earliest childhood. I can not agree with him more! Your sons and daughters must know that you love them unconditionally and that everything you require is for their own good.

 Dr Dobson covers the challenges our daughters face nowadays such as low self-esteem (wanting to be “beautiful” in the world’s eyes) Dr Dobson shows you how to help your daughter develop AND maintain a healthy body image, despite what society and the media want our girls to be.

He also talks about why girls (toddlers and teenagers) act the way they do (and how and why they’re different from boys). OMG, this part was so eye opening for me. 

He covers some points on how to teach girls to be ladies (basically manners and morals).

He also has a section in which he sat down with 16 college-age women and talked to them about their relationships with their fathers.  It was really enlightening, I also liked his chapter on “Why Daddies Matter” – for those dads who might not realize how significant they are in their daughters’ lives – how much of an influence they are in their lives. This part got me thinking about my relationship with my father, and how it has affected my life. 

Dr. Dobson is a Christian and therefore this book brings a lot of the word of God into the principles of raising your daughter to be a Godly woman.  But I do believe this is a book that could benefit anyone, especially if they’re needing advice on a difficult situation involving their daughter.  Dobson talks about culture, consequences, puberty, bullies and friends, and how to encourage a lifestyle of modesty (including the idea of a Purity Ball, which I love!).


I felt I was able to take away many helpful principles after reading this book.  There were some things I didn’t know or even realize, and many things I’ll be somewhat prepared for now that I’ve read about them. 
I am so excited to read more books that would help me become a better wife, mother and person, plus the fact that I have scheduled time to sit down with my friends and drink tea, have some dessert  together doesn't hurt at all ;)



Thanks for visiting, 





0 comments:

Post a Comment