DIY Large Chalkboard



I have wanted a large chalkboard for a few months now. I was just to lazy/tired to build one. 

It meant going to Home depot, buying supplies, getting the saw out, cutting, nailing, gluing, priming, painting. 
That just didn't sound very appealing to me being pregnant and all.

I  considered for a split second to buy one online, But I couldn't find anything for less then $100!

Then one day, I was browsing craigslist, and I found this mirror for $30.


I sent hubby to pick up the mirror and got started the next day. 

First thing first, I cleaned the mirror really well and taped off the frame. 





I used one can of chalkboard paint, Thats it! Simple. 


I sprayed the mirror in a well ventilated area. 

I did 2 coats. 


It was cold in the garage, so I set up 2 of these heaters so the mirror could dry faster. 


After the chalkboard paint has dried, I brought it inside peeled off the paint, I was very careful and used a xacto knife in the corners to make sure I didn't pull any paint off the mirror:



Then I painted the frame white. 


Before using the chalkboard, I "seasoned" it with a piece of chalk. 
Just rub a piece of chalk and erase it. 


Now it is ready yo be used!


I can not wait to write inspiration quotes, notes and messages on it!





Thanks for visiting!





7 comments:

  1. It turned out really well - good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I didn't realize the chalkboard spray would stick to a mirror. That is amazing!! Love your new chalkboard:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so pretty, and actually seems do-able! Thanks for the inspiration. Pinning, and adding you on G+.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy gorgeous!! Featuring you at this weekend's party! Thanks for sharing on Sunday FUNday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I hopped over from Pieced Pasttimes. Love this! Now following. I have a link party, Share Your Cup Thursday. It's about sharing the things that make you happy. I'd love if you shared sometime!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creative! Very neat how I guess anything could be turned into a chalkboard or anything else for that matter.

    ReplyDelete