Birth Story- Pregnancy #3 (VBAC)





The birth of William
3rd pregnancy 
Due date 01/25/2014. Delivery date: 01/18/2014
9 lbs 5 oz
21 inches long

I am so excited to share William's birth story with you all.
I absolutely love hearing and reading birth stories, I think because they are all so different. Everyone has a story to tell. :) So I hope you enjoy .


I had my 39 week check up on Thursday, I was 2cm dilated. Which wasn't much change from last weeks doctor apt, where I was 1.5 cm. So I really didn't think much about it.

I had my OB strip my membranes.

My sister flew in on Wednesday, so on Thursday after my doctor apt, we went to to "walk" the mall for a few hours and then out for lunch.

 After a few hours I was exhausted, I had cramps and was spotting.

That evening, I had a pineapple, and used a breast pump for 20 minutes to stimulate contractions.
I went to bed very crampy and had irregular contractions. I really did not think much of them. I mean, I just started to "try" to go into labor. I figured a few days of walking and breast pump use would send me into labor..... Little did I know. 

I kept waking up during the night with contractions, they were very regular too, they were coming 5-7 minutes apart. They were painful, but manageable with breathing.

Finally at 5:30am I gave up on sleeping. It was Friday, So I figured I might as well start my Shabbat preparations instead of trying to cope through the contractions in bed.

I cooked, and cleaned all the while working through the contractions.
I found it very helpful to lean on the counter during a contractions and kind of swing my hips side to side.

After I was finished with all of my shabbat preparations, I took a nap.
After my nap, I saw that my contractions were not coming very close anymore. They were were coming 10-12 minutes apart now.

We had dinner and spent time with the family as we usually do on Friday nights. The contractions kept coming 10-12 minutes apart but were getting very painful now. I had to lean on something and breath through them.

Finally I went to bed at 9:30pm. I woke up with contractions at 11:00pm, the contractions were now coming 3-5 minutes apart and were so painful, I could not lay in bed.
I labored on the floor, on my hands and knees for a bit.

I decided to try to get in a hot shower and see if they go away. I was in the shower for a good 30 minutes, until I have used up all of the hot water. It was wonderful to relieve the pain in the shower during a contractions, but I noticed that while I was in the shower, the contractions kept coming every 3 minutes- one after another.

I got out of the shower and hubby asked what I wanted to do. I told him that we should go to the hospital and get checked, since the contractions were not going away.
I thought that I may be sent home, since just the day before I was only at 2cm, but I figured that I better check, because there was no way I could sleep that night with these contractions.

We got in the car, the seat warmers felt wonderful on the back during the contractions, I remember driving and looking at the clock to see when another contraction will hit, they were 5 minutes apart on the dot.

We arrived at the hospital and I was checked at 1:30am. I was 4 1/2 cm dilated!

Plus I was marked as "high risk" because of my previous C Section and size of my babies, so they didn't waste any time.

We were admitted and taken to our room.
I could not walk and It was so uncomfortable to labor in the hospital room.
I am so glad I labored as much as I could at home.
The contractions were so painful, I could barely manage to breath trough them, I kept waiting for one to end and then another one began.



I asked for an epidural.
I got my epidural at 3:30am. I was given something called a Spinal Block.
It numbs my back, hips, stomach. But you can still move your legs which was nice.

The nurse got me comfortable and brought something called a peanut ball, she arranged my hips and legs for me to be in the best position so the baby can come down while I rested, she then came back every hour to switch the peanut pillow back and forth.

Hubby and I actually managed to get some sleep. I was checked at 5pm, I was dilated to a 6.
However my contractions have now slowed down to 7-10 minutes apart. The OB said that she wanted to start some pitocin.
I agreed, they started me on .5 of the epidural and then increased it to a 1 in an hour.

By 8:15 I felt a huge pressure in my but. I felt like I had to push.
I called the nurse, she checked me, I was at a 10!

She said that she will get the OB, The doctor came and I started pushing at 8:45.

The nurses were so helpful, they told me exactly how to hold my legs (since I could move them), they told me exactly how to push. In 3 contractions (15 minutes) William was born! It was incredible.

With my daughter I pushed for 3 hours! So this was amazing for me.

After William was born, they placed me on my chest and I got to keep him there for 2 hours!
The hospital does not weigh, bathe or take the baby for two hours! They said that they do that because the baby needs to keep the temperature up.

I had a two degree tear.
With this pregnancy, my placenta did not come out (just as my 1st pregnancy) The OB, had to reach in and take it out.



My hubby went home at noon that day. I was able to freshen up and get changed into pjs right before hubby brought the kids to meet their new brother.




I was able to get discharged the next day at 11am! Just 26 hours later!

This labor and delivery went by so fast and smoothly. I am so thankful to God, He heard all of my prayers. I worried so much and everything went smoothly.

All three of my birth stories are so different, and each of them is engraved in my mind. It is something you will never forget.
Read birth#1 here and birth#2 here.

I am so thankful to God for this wonderful gift he gave us! We are so much in love with baby William.

I can not believe we have 3 kids now!


Proud sister:


Thanks for visiting, 


Rita




16 comments:

  1. I love your story and so happy your previous bundle came so nicely

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE birth stories! Thanks for sharing! I'm so happy everyone is safe, healthy, and happy!!! enjoy every moment with the little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to all of you! What an adorable family. I have stalked your blog for several days waiting for the news. How much did William weigh? He looks really big.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad things went well for you & you have a happy healthy baby to add to your already lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! He is just gorgeous, and I love reading birth stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet! Congratulations to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How Wonderful! Congratulations to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Rita- what a beautiful baby and family!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Rita! I love a good birth story. Enjoy this beautiful time! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful family. Congratulations to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to you and your beautiful family!! William is such a cutie pie!!! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe I missed this post for a few days. Congrats! I'm so happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats. You have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! He is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! What a sweet little family! And that sounds like such a great hospital! I love that they let you keep him for two hours. That does not happen where I live.

    ReplyDelete