Birth Story- Pregnancy #1






The birth of Emily
1st pregnancy 
Due date 12/18/2007. Delivery date: 12/11/07

I love hearing and reading birth stories. Especially now! I have been reading birth stories for the past three days! It made me regret that I never wrote down my babies birth stories, I figured I should do it now, better late then never. Off course, I don't remember every little detail any more, but there are parts  I will never forget, and are stuck in my head even 6 years later!

With my first pregnancy, I was 21 years old and feel that my preganncy was fairly normal.

I had morning sickness until around 13 weeks.  I was told I had gestational diabetes. I was shocked, I felt healthy, I was 125 pounds (5ft 6inch) but now thinking back, I really did not eat healthy, I had pop all day long, my snacks consisted of candy and sugary cereal. My meals were usually burgers and greasy fries.  Tsk tsk.
I then went to a nutritionist and was put on a low carb diet.  I was hungry my whole third trimester. My breakfast usually consisted of a half a english muffin with peanut butter and 1/2 a banana, my lunch consisted of 1/2 turkey sandwich, mini carrots and a jello, and my dinner was somewhere near the same. I had to write down my blood sugar level after each meal and write down everything I ate. Then my OB would look through it at my next appointment. My OB told me that if I was not able to control my blood sugar with  a diet, then I would need to administer insulin.



During my birthing classes, I heard woman share that they are "eating for two", one of them even mentioned eating a carton of ice-cream, I couldn't even have ice cream! Unless I wanted to use all of my carbs and not have any dinner :(. But I rather follow my diet then administer insulin through out the day.

12/10/2007
I was driving home from work that day, stuck in traffic as always. I remember sitting in the car, feeling very crampy. I ignored it, knowing that it is all normal. I had another week until my due date and was getting very uncomfortable. But I decided to work until I went into labor so I could have more time off with my baby after she was born.
That evening, we had dinner, and I went to bed early (9pm) since I had to be at work early the next day.

I remember waking up because I had to use the bathroom again. I glanced at the clock, it was 11pm. Hubby was asleep beside me. I lay in bed thinking ok, I gotta get up and go to the bathroom, but I just lay there. Then all of a sudden, I heard and felt a pop, and I felt a gush of water. I knew my water had just broken, there was no "maybe" in it. I hoisted myself out of bed and waddled over to the bathroom, I peed and just sat on the toilet while "the water" trickled out. I called my hubby, he came sleepy and groggy, I told him my water broke, and asked him to bring me a pair of clean underwear. He brought me some underwear and I put a pad on. I then called my OB office and reached a on call nurse. She advised me to go to the hospital to get checked out.

I called into work and left a message letting them know that I will not be coming in tomorrow. I was going to have a baby!

So we gathered our bags and headed for the hospital. We got to the hospital at 12am. The nurse checked me (to make sure my water was really broken) and I got admitted. I was 2 inches dilated.
I remember seeing little hair on my pad with the water. I knew we were going to have a hairy little girl!

She told me to get in bed and get some rest,  the doctor will be in the morning to check me.
Hubby passed out on the couch but I could not fall asleep. I was so anxious, that we are going to meet our little daughter so soon. I drifted in and out of sleep as the nurses kept coming in to check me.

By 6am, I still did not have any contractions and was still at a 2. The doctor said that they are going to start me on pitocin. The nurse asked me if she needed to set up a anesthesiologist for me to get the epidural later on. I said No, I am going to do this naturally. I thought, if my mom can do this 7 times naturally, I am sure I can to.  I was so naive. But forgive me, it was my first pregnancy.

With the pitocin in, I started feeling small contractions, me and hubby walked the hallways, to try and speed it up. Then the contractions started coming stronger and stronger, I was back in my room, on my knees, moaning and groaning. It hurt so bad. I felt like I was going to throw up. I couldn't  take it anymore. I was in so much pain, I was hungry and tired. All the birthing classes that my hubby and I took, went out the window, I couldn't remember how to breath and cope through the contractions.

When the nurse checked me again at 12, I was at a 4. I begged her for the epidural. I got my epidural administered shortly after that, since the anethsigiolost was right next door with another patient.
The epidural did not hurt one bit, it was a poke compared to a ripping apart feeling of a contraction.

Oh, I felt such sweet relief after the epidural. I layed back and was able to relax.

By 3 pm, I was told that I can start pushing.

You know how people say you don't feel when you need to push with an epidural. But I did, I felt this pressure on my backside, I could feel when a contraction was coming even though it did not hurt.

I pushed for 56 minutes. And then my little precious daughter slipped right out.

Emily was born at 3:56pm on 12/11/07, 7 days before her estimated due date.

She was 8lbs and 13 oz and was 20.5 inches long.

The doctor was not able to deliver my placenta so she had to reach in and get it ( I just found this out from my current OB, who was reviewing my records!)

Then the doctor said she needed to stitch me up, I asked how bad it was and she said, oh just a small tear. I didn't care, I had a baby on my chest and kept staring at her.
I ended up having a 3 degree tear! The recovery was brutal! I was in pain for almost 3 months, if not more.
After the nurses took Emily to check her out, I said that I was starving and the nurse said that she will call in a order to the cafeteria.
After the nurses were done doing their thing, they  put emily on my breast and she latched on right away! It was so amazing. I had no problem nursing her what so ever. In fact, when I went back to work, I pumped and she was exclusively breast fed until she was 8 months old. (When she was 8 months, I had 4 wisdom teeth removed and was on pain killers for 3 days, so I was told to pump and dump, but my milk seemed to dry out, so we started her on infant formula after we used up our frozen milk.


The nurse brought me my food, it was roasted turkey breast, mashed potatoes and veggies. I devoured every little bite. I was still starving. We were then moved to a recovery room, which was smaller then the delivery room. But it still had a full sized bathroom, and a couch for my hubby to sleep on.

We had a very old, bad camera, so we did not document this delivery. Which I really regret.

If we took any photos, they turned out blurry. :(


Soon after the epidural wore of and I was on my feet. We had family come at 5:30pm, just 1 1/2 after the delivery. They brought more food! I couldn't get enough, I was still hungry!

I was so happy to be discharged, I remember feeling annoyed with the nurses, because they kept coming in and checking Emily's blood sugar (because I had gestation diabetes) by poking her in her heel, and she would start screaming. 

We came home on Friday afternoon. My parents still lived in town then and my mother cooked us food and brought it over. I remember me and my husband, just spending the weekend laying around and staring at our beautiful daughter. It was amazing. 

My daughter's nursery. She didn't sleep a single night in it. We co slept for 2 years! :)


Here is our little daughter at home, she was perfect. 


Thank you so much for reading my birth story.

If you have a birth story up on your blog please link it up in the comments, I would love to read it. 



6 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of writing my own birth stories... thanks for the motivation! Emily is so adorable! Aren't babies the cutest???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, I couldn't help but giggle at the "had to reach in and get it" part about the placenta. They had to do that with me too, but I was well aware at the time. Then the Dr accidently dropped the entire mess on the floor and blood exploded everywhere! I just had to sit there while they mopped the blood off the floor and walls! I It's funny to remember now, but they sure were lucky that I get really mellow during labor. I imaging that would freak some people out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading birth stories when I was pregnant too. Here's a link to my son's- thanks for sharing yours!! http://davenportdiy.blogspot.com/2013/04/bs-birth-story.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww! Thanks for sharing..I had never really thought about sharing mine, it was pretty uneventful (aside from of course getting my amazing boy) but I love reading other's birth stories =) she looks Just like she did as a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a good thing you wrote down your birth stories, even though its a bit later. I wrote my first birth story down but lost it! I wrote my second one while it was still pretty fresh in my memory, I'm sure I will treasure it as my kids get older. I had my first when I was 21 as well. I also got induced with him, though only because I was "too uncomfortable" at that point in pregnancy (I was 39w1d) but now knowing all the complications that usually happen with medical interventions such as induction, I would have never done it. It was painful with the pitocin (and I did get a bad tear too) but I did not get the epidural and had a healthy baby which I am so thankful to God for! With my second, I just did not like my ob/gyn, I felt he didn't pay enough attention to me, I had to wait forever for each appt, and he did all kinds of tests without explaining anything to me, I just found out later from my records. I switched to a midwife about half way through and it was the greatest decision, she was SO informative about everything, with every test I had the choice to do, I was given lots of info, pros and cons. We ended up making the decision to have our baby at home, though first I thought it was a crazy idea! Our girl was born on our bedroom floor, with me squating holding on to our bed and my husband pushing on my lower back. During pushing, the midwife discovered that baby was breech, coming out butt first! Ah, that's why it was so hard to push lol But I did it and am pretty proud :) our second baby was born healthy after about 20 mins of pushing. Praise God! In the hospital I would have been taken in for an emergency C section because of the breech presentation. Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a good thing you wrote down your birth stories, even though its a bit later. I wrote my first birth story down but lost it! I wrote my second one while it was still pretty fresh in my memory, I'm sure I will treasure it as my kids get older. I had my first when I was 21 as well. I also got induced with him, though only because I was "too uncomfortable" at that point in pregnancy (I was 39w1d) but now knowing all the complications that usually happen with medical interventions such as induction, I would have never done it. It was painful with the pitocin (and I did get a bad tear too) but I did not get the epidural and had a healthy baby which I am so thankful to God for! With my second, I just did not like my ob/gyn, I felt he didn't pay enough attention to me, I had to wait forever for each appt, and he did all kinds of tests without explaining anything to me, I just found out later from my records. I switched to a midwife about half way through and it was the greatest decision, she was SO informative about everything, with every test I had the choice to do, I was given lots of info, pros and cons. We ended up making the decision to have our baby at home, though first I thought it was a crazy idea! Our girl was born on our bedroom floor, with me squating holding on to our bed and my husband pushing on my lower back. During pushing, the midwife discovered that baby was breech, coming out butt first! Ah, that's why it was so hard to push lol But I did it and am pretty proud :) our second baby was born healthy after about 20 mins of pushing. Praise God! In the hospital I would have been taken in for an emergency C section because of the breech presentation. Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete