Easy Envelope Pillows (tutorial)



I decided to change it up again in the living room by bringing in some color for the upcoming spring and summer months, and the most inexpensive way to do this is to add some flowers and new colorful pillows. 

Throw pillows cost a lot. Even at Home Goods or Marshall's you will pay at least $20 for a pillow. It's ridiculous!

I went to The fabric store and paid $40 for fabric which was enough for 10 pillows! You can't beat that!

This is the easiest thing you can sew. Even if you don't know how to sew, you can still make this, there are no zippers involved and all you need to do is sew straight lines. 

1 yard is enough for one 20 inch pillow.  Keep that in mind when buying your fabric. 

I prefer down pillows, because I like how "chopped" pillows look. 
But I have non down throw pillows to. After I recovered all of my old pillows, I went and bought down throw pillows at IKEA. The are only $6.99 each, Which is the cheapest I found in town:



There are two different ways I make pillows. One way is by cutting out one piece of fabric and the other is by cutting out 3 parts.


Here is the first way.

Use your old pillow case as a guide. You need to cut a piece of fabric that is 1/2 inch wider on each side and can overlap by 6 inches:


See, when I fold it over the pillow case, it overlaps by 6 inches:


Fold and iron the two ends:


Sew both of the ends:


Lay the fabric on a flat surface with the right side up. 
Bring one end up to the middle:


Then bring the other side towards the middle:


Use your old pillow case as a guide. Put it onto to make sure it is the same size.



Sew two of the edges.

After you have sewn the 2 seams, you need to finish the edges. 
You can serge them, zig zag stitch or use pinking shears like I do:






After this step you are done!

Put your pillow in and admire your work:





 The next way to make the pillow is for when you don't have enough fabric to go all the way around the pillow and you need to cut out pieces. 

1 yard of fabric was not quite big enough to go around the 20 inch IKEA pillow. 






 Step one, measure pillow:



Next, measure and cut your fabric. 
Since my pillow was 20 inches, I cut a 20 1/2 inch square:


The square will be your pillow front:


To create the 2 back pieces, use your square as a guideline. 
Fold up your square 7 inches, basically creating a 13 1/2 X 20 1/2 rectangle. 



Use that to trace and cut out 2 back panels:



So now, you should have 1 front and 2 backs:


Take your back panels and fold over and iron one of the edges:



Sew down the edge on each back panel


Next, place your front square on a flat surface (front side up) and put your back panels on top. Remember that the front sides always go together. Pin the pillow. 


Stitch all 4 sides:


Finish all edges:


Thats it! Insert your pillow and you are done!






If you only have enough fabric for the front, you can use a different fabric for the back:


I have to say, that I am really loving the pretty colors:




Thank you so much for visiting and I hope you have a wonderful day!



32 comments:

  1. Love your fabric choices! So fun!

    Jenny
    Www.simcoestreet blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to pin this, I need some cute pillow!! Found you linked up at Pinworthy Projects!
    Beth @ The First Year Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! You were before me at the Tatertots and Jello link party. This is exactly the first project that I ever did in my sewing class almost one year ago! We used the second method, to be exact. :)

    I looove the green zebra print fabric. Super cute!

    I hope you get a chance to visit my blog! Thanks for the walk down memory lane. :)

    Diane @ Vintage Zest

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so pretty. I never have enough pillows and am always looking for inspiration to make different ones.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Suzanne
    Pieced Pastimes
    PS-Would love to have you link this up to Saturday Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  5. This tutorial makes it sound really easy. Thanks for sharing!

    hugs x
    Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  6. great tutorial! I love using ikea's pillows...so cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! Great tutorial too!
    I would love if you link this to my Link party on Monday!
    XOXO
    Isabelle

    http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial Rita! This is exactly how I make my cushion covers too! So simple!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial! Pinning this for future reference! I found you at the Project Inspire{d} Linky Party-- thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. fun! I love how affordable Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays! love it! Really appreciate you stopping by my blog! I'm trying to keep in better touch with my linkers/readers... If you already follow me, please let me know I will find your blog on Bloglovin (I'm transferring my follows there)if you don't follow in any way, would you consider following via GFC or other method?
    www.nap-timecreations.com the IKEA inserts are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your simple tutorial! Thank you for sharing! I would love for you to share this project at my weekly linky party Blog Stalking Thursday. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love changing out my pillows for the seasons, so making them this way saves me $$! love the fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always make one-piece envelope style pillows ... I love the ease of them. Your pillows look great ... and you're right, it's such a simple way to brighten up the room for a new season. Thanks for sharing at Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looove the fabric choices! Great tutorial..I may whip up a few tomorrow!! Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday and share your post with us.
    http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/03/centerpiece-wednesday-and-wrap-up_26.html
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi - found you over at Sew Much Ado. I am a fellow sewer and LOVE this tutorial!

    Marni @ HaberdasheryFun

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love your mix of prints and colors in these pillows. These are my fav kinda sewing projects... simple (and straight lines!).

    ReplyDelete
  17. THese are SO cute! Love the pretty fabrics you chose :)
    Visiting from Rolled Up Pretty!
    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Miss Rita, I featured you lovely pillows at the party! thank you for linky up with us :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tutorial. I have some fabric from Hobby Lobby to make cushion covers. You have inspired me to get around to it fast.
    Coming over from Spring Hop party.
    Anjana @ www.happyandharried.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I could go broke buying such pretty pillows! Love the fabric you choose and great tutorial for even someone like me who fails at sewing :) THanks for linkin up to Sunday FUNday!

    Kristine -The Foley Fam {unedited}

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing tutorial. I thought pillows always needed zippers. Love your pillows Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a terrific tutorial! Can't wait to try this out with the fabric I found at Crompton Collective last month. Thanks!
    Jess
    http://organasms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm featuring this awesome project this week at the oldies party! Check it out and link up some more great OLD projects! http://www.dosmallthingswithlove.com/2013/04/an-oldie-but-goodie-12.html
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great tutorial! I really need to make some new pillows for my front room! Thanks for the great tutorial and thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very Clear tutorial! And some lovely new pillows! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the beautiful fabric and pillow covers are the way to go! I'm going to look for the down pillows online. Thanks for the tip! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I looked online but didn't find any. Maybe someday I can visit a store! Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great tutorial! Thanks so much for linking up to Made With Love at Sew Chatty! I'm featuring your fun pillows today. http://sewchatty.blogspot.com/2013/04/made-with-love-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love these! These pillow covers are definetly the easiest! Would love to have you share at my link party!

    http://www.madetobeamomma.com/2013/04/homemade-by-you-46.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love these pillows! They are great! Thanks for sharing at Give Me the Goods Monday and we hope you join us again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks so much for your tutorial! My aunt passed down her sewing machine to me and I'd like to begin to attempt to sew. I think this looks like an easy enough project to start with! It really helps to have the pictures along with the instructions to help me visualize it.

    ReplyDelete