DIY Milk Glass (vase makeover)

 I have never liked gold finishes before. But, lately it has been really growing on me. 
Gold jewelry, gold hardware, gold home decor. Please tell me I am not the only one.

 I wanted to bring in some gold into my bedroom. I had this vase I bought awhile back at a craft store, it was very cheap. 

I didn't like how you can see the stems of the plant, so I decided to paint it. 

However, I didn't just want to spray paint it. I wanted to the vase to have a milk glass look and have gold detail. Here is the before and after. 




It is a super easy and simple project. It you have some paint laying around, you can do this to. Either use an old vase, or pick some different vases at the thrift store and paint them all the same and group them together. 

Here is some inspiration I found online:







Ok, let me show you how I did this. 

I taped of the edge of the vase to make sure I didn't get any paint on it then I poured some white paint into the vase:



Swirl the paint. Add more paint if needed:


Make sure you covered the whole vase with paint:


Next, flip your vase over for the rest of the paint to drip out. 

(I made a little draining rack for it out of skewers)

I taped off the rest of the vase so I wouldn't get any spray paint on it. 



Next I sprayed the bottom of the vase with some gold spray paint I had laying around in the garage:


I didn't like this gold finish so I distressed it a bit with some metallic paints from Martha Stewart:



Take off the tape and clean of the edges:



Next let it dry for a few days before you put anything inside so you don't scratch the paint. 

hmm... Now I am thinking I should tape of the vase and create gold stripes... what do you think?





Thank you so much for visiting and I hope you all have a fabulous day!




11 comments:

  1. I like the gold finish. You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea. So easy to do as well. I would love it if you would share this over at my link party.

    http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuesday-link-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever idea. I love milk glass. This is so pretty !

    http://www.curiositaellya.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty! I LOVE the look of milk glass! Thanks for linking this up to Monday Funday!

    Kelly @ View Along the Way

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! That's a project I think I could actually handle. Go ahead with the stripes next time. I have faith that you can do it! ~TALU

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's beautiful ... but I love your stripes idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been wanting do do this with my collection of vases. I love the white and gold look. Very creative AND they look like something you would buy from a high end decor store. (talu)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool project, Rita! I vote for stripes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out gorgeous! I say go for the stripes as well! xoxo Tina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the look. They turned out so pretty.

    ReplyDelete