Sufganiyot (Hanukkah Doughnuts)


This is our first year celebrating Hanukkah.

I have really been enjoying learning about hanukkah and all that it stands for. For example I learned that sufganiyot is a very popular fried doughnut that people make on Hanukkah to symbolize the miracle of oil that lasted for 8 days instead of one. 

OK, my dear hebrew cousins (I don't know if you read this blog or not) but how come you never made this for me to eat? These are DELICIOUS! I don't know if I made them right or wrong, but let me tell you that I will be making them over and over again, and not only on Hanukkah.

There are a lot of recipes out there for sufganiyot, Here are a few I found:




They all are basically the same: make dough, cut dough, fry dough, fill dough, sprinkle with sugar.

I didn't follow any of the above for the dough. I used by basic dough recipe for my bread machine. 

If you don't have a bread machine, then follow any of the above recipes. 

If you have a machine, then just let it do all the work for you :)



Basic Sweet Dough Recipe:

1 CUP water
1 egg
1/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
3 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast

Place all ingredients into the bread machine pan.

Select Dough/manual cycle. 

Then go do whatever you want to do for the 2 1/2 hours it takes to make the dough.....
 I went grocery shopping and out for lunch with my kidos :)


Next, on a floured surface roll out your dough to about 1/4 inch thick:



Using a cookie cutter/or glass cut out as much rounds as you can, cover with plastic and let to rise for about 15 minutes:


While the rounds were rising, set up your frying station.

In a medium saucepan, add about 3 inches of oil. Heat on Medium heat.

Prepare a bowl/plate lined with paper towels to absorb extra oil:



Put about 3 TB of jam into a pastry bag:


It took me approximately 3-4 minutes to cook the doughnut completely.

But 2-3 at a time. Don't overcrowd your pot:


Here they are just about ready to come out.
Wow, look how they puffed up!



Next you need to make a hole in the doughnut. I used the end of a wooden spatula:



Then you fill it up with jam!



The Martha Stewart recipe says to roll them in sugar:




However, I preferred them sprinkled with powdered sugar:




My daughter asked for some without jam, these were especially for her :)


And these are all for mommy and daddy!!!

YUM!




Thank you so much for visiting. :)



5 comments:

  1. Недавно начала читать Ваш блог и очень удивилась когда узнала что Вы из России)))) А теперь оказывается Вы и суфганиет готовите))) Буду теперь с еще большим интересом читать Ваш блог)) хаг ханука самеах!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such a sweet comment. I see that you are from Israel! I have some relatives that live there. I have always wanted to visit, maybe one day.

      Delete
  2. don't tell my mom, but those look way better than hers, lol. we'll be getting our latke on this weekend, and i think the reason i don't usually eat these donuts is that i get so full on latkes! these look great, especially for your first time making them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. may I ask why you decided to start celebrating hanukkah?

    ReplyDelete