Kitchen Update One Year Later (white cabinets and butcher block counters)

I got a request asking me to do a post about my butcher block counter tops and painted cabinets to show you guys how they have or have not held up after one year. 

You can see the original post about my kitchen remodel here.





I have not done any touch ups on anything. 
People ask if I cut on my counters? I don't "chop" on my counters, just like I wouldn't even if I would have had granite (it's not sanitary), but I do cut occasionally on them if I am to lazy to get out my cutting board, like: slicing cheese, slicing an apple, working with dough.

People ask if I am careful with water around my counters? 
Well, I don't let spilled water just sit there if thats what you mean. 
After doing dishes, I wipe all the water down. It just looks neater, just like I would do with any other counter tops.




This is the counter I do all of my pastry work: pies, kneading/slicing dough, rolling and cutting cookies.



As you can tell the counter tops still look great:


This is where I prepare dinner: washing, chopping veggies, meats, etc...

A little bit more beat up here. 


Now to the worst part.

Around the sink:

As you can tell that this area has not held up so well. 
 I think if we had a drop in sink, then it wouldn't be so bad. 


So we would need to sand, re-stain and seal the countertops. 
But I am kinda scared to tackle that project, since that would mean a big mess in the kitchen and the holiday season is upon us. 



Now about the painted cabinets. 


I have to say that I was worried about the cabinets, but they actually held up very well.
To see how I painted them, go here.

The only two cabinets which chipped, are these two. That is because the trash and recycling is located here and we are constantly opening them. 


Wouldn't it be nice if we all used the door knobs, but we don't.



The inside is worse. But I haven't bothered doing any touch ups since it the on the inside and no one can tell. 





Thats it. 

Thanks for visiting


Let me know if you have any questions :)



6 comments:

  1. thanks for the update! it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen is beautiful! This post was really helpful, as we've been considering butcher block but I'm nervous about how it will hold up. I really beat things up, and I'm not sure if the butcher block could take it. Those little spots around the sink, are they from pots and pans banging around, or water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those spots around the sink are from the water. Once I sand everything and refinish it, it will look brand new again.

      Delete
  3. So happy to have read about the sink area issue, not that I am happy for your misfortune :) I'm happy because I will be installing the same counter tops and was torn between undermount or drop in sick, this has sealed (pun intended) deal for me; I will go with drop in.

    You did a wonderful job on the entire kitchen. I will be pinning so I can continue to come back and admire it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for doing a follow up post! This has been really helpful for me. I'm getting these counters installed tomorrow and this has really helped me. We have a drop in sink, so I don't think I'll have the same issue as you around the sink, but even yours shows minimal wear. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rita, what brand of stove did you get? I couldn't find a gas range Samsung so I'm wondering if that is a different brand you got. Thinking of renovating our kitchen soon.

    ReplyDelete