Monday, March 19, 2012

DIY Detachable Collar



I love my accessories, and when I saw this post on Megan Nielsen's blog.
I knew I had to make my own!


I think they turned out pretty cute!
(pictures at the end of the post on how I style these babies)



I used Megan's pattern. However, it is for a scalloped collar, which I did not want.
I just printed the pattern and cut the scallops off.

For the pointed collar, I used the same pattern but made it pointy at the end.

Megan has a detailed post on how to make a detachable collar, but if you
want to see how I made this collar, keep reading.


Cut two of the pieces on the fold:
(if your fabric is light weight, you will need interfacing)



Place the two pieces (right sides together) and pin around

Sew all the way around (about 5/8 from the edge) leaving a small opening



Trim around the collar cutting off the access
I used my pinking shears



Turn collar inside out


Iron the collar


Hand sew the opening shut and hand sew on a hook and eye


Next, embellish whichever way you please
(I was lazy and used sequin glue, I let it dry over night)


Thats it!


Here are just a few ways that I am planning on wearing the collars



Thank you so much for visiting!!


17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! They were both very easy and fun to make

      Delete
  2. This is so funky! I saw it at Sugar Bee's link-up and had to investigate further. I would love it if you would link these up in the 'fashion' part of my blog launch link party. I will definitely be following you from now on. (I have never gotten over how creepy that sounds!)

    Rosie
    http://craftbotics.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I love how they look on all your different tops! Thanks for linking up this awesome project at The Little Giggler!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks Awesome! Such a cool Idea. I just love your cute blog. I’m a new follower on GFC. It would make my day if you could come follow me too. I have a new blog and i started a link party every Sunday if you want to come and link up what ever you like. http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    Thanks,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really good idea! I LOVE it layered with the cardigan!
    Shiloh
    everydaygameplan.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely idea - I like your collar collage at the end! :)


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these cute collars, what a fun idea! I'm a new follower and would love to have you stop by and follow too! I also have my first link party and a give-away going on now through Saturday night. I hope you'll stop by and share this at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such FABULOUS collars!!!!

    PLEASE share this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.ca/2012/03/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that is so creative! I've seen so many bloggers wearing detachable collars that I just might have to make one!

    katiesbliss.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh these are too fun, you look adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rita, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an absolutely lovely idea!! So smart! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi

    You should try using lacey material, it looks awesome on plain blouse or tube!! lacey more like an english style!
    Hope it helps!!

    Best Regards
    Koreen

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is such a helpful DIY tutorial! i'm glad i stumbled into your blog. <3

    http://fadsalad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cute! I really love how you've styled the collar with the first blouse. Would the collars work with sweaters as well or just normal shirts. Do you think fashion glue would work, too, or would you only suggest sewing? I love adding collars and stuff to an outfit to make it feel more "you". I've just written a post about it and I'd seriously love your opinion! They're just for collared shirts really and my tutorials aren't as polished as yours but it's my first attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this method! I'm planning on making some collars today using some bright orange and green floral 70s fabric as well as children's sheets I bought at the opshop :-)

    ReplyDelete