Double Layer Knit Skirt



Ok, before I talk about my latest project, I want to put something out there.

I am a BAD shopper, If I see something on sale and I think its "cute" I grab it, usually without trying it on (because I have two little kidos with me and it is too much of a hassle)
so, I usually end up returning a lot of things.

I was at the fabric store buying something for a completely different project, I saw this knit cheetah print on sale ( I usually do NOT wear cheetah print), I thought "ohh, It's so cute! I am going to get this" I paid $16 for 2 yards. Anyways, when I got home I examined the fabric closely, I saw it was a thin sweater knit (something cardigans are made from) I thought oh shoot! What am I going to do with this? Well, I can't return fabric. So It has been sitting in my craft room for about a month now. I never got the courage to make anything out of it, first of all, I am not a seamstress, I can sew a simple skirt and a pillow case, but that's it!

So on a rainy day, I finally mustered up the courage to use some of the fabric to make something.
I used one yard for this project, so I still need to figure out what to make with the rest :) Which is good, It makes me get out of my comfort zone.

I decided to make a double layer knit pencil skirt, It took me about a half an hour to make!

If you want to see how I made it, then read on :)




First, I took my knit fabric and folded it in half and used a knit skirt which fit me well as a pattern.

I traced and cut

I cut two pieces like so:


I put the right sides together and sewed the sides together

When I turned it inside out, it looks like so:


Then I pulled one end inside, and it formed a skirt like this
(I think this would be super cute with two different fabrics for a reversible skirt )



Then I cut some elastic the same length as the waist.
(mine looks a little ghetto, since I didn't have enough of one and had to piece two pieces together, Its all good, It works :)


On one of the ends, I sewed the elastic on like so, and then folded it in:


Then I folded the second fabric in, as well:


Pinned all around:


Then I sewed all around the edge like this:


All done!



I am loving this comfy skirt!

It is cute and still comfortable to move around in while chasing my little man :)



I added a thin belt for a added detail




19 comments:

  1. very cute skirt! I'm stopping over from Sugarbee Crafts linky party!.

    feel free to swing by:
    www.aloveleemix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I stopped by your blog and am now your newest follower :)

      Delete
  2. that is so adorable!! not my style but looks fabulous on you! i never would have thought to sew the elastic in like that, but its great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I never thought I would wear this print, but what can I say, tastes change or evolve. LOL. I was trying to figure out how to put the elastic in there, this way worked very well. :)

      Delete
  3. Very cute! And you make it look so easy! I would love for you to link up to our party going on now! http://herestohandyandy.blogspot.com/2012/02/pinteresting-link-party-week-28.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am now following your blog and linked up to your party!! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! I have a bit over a yard left of a knit fabric that I've already used to make a shirt & a dress (I really like the fabric). I think I may use your super simple idea to make a shirt out of it too! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should!! Leave a link to the finished project, I really want to see it :)

      Delete
  5. Very cute! You did such a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute - you look adorable. I can't sew a stich, but I so wish I could. Also, thanks for the great tip on removing glitter nail polish. I love wearing the stuff, but it's Horrible trying to remove it.

    Have a great rest of the week!

    P.S. I loved your living room tour. We are currently re-doing our living room and you are inspiring me. I must get the lighted branches and the Ikea Mirror. Which I tried to order online but it's unavailable. And the nearest Ikea is two hours away. Kinda bummed about that, but I see a road trip in my future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you for all your sweet words. you have made my day :)

      Delete
  7. I have been reading all your posts. you are amazing at what you do. the skirt is super dooper gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable!!! Looks so good on you! I have a project party every weekend and would love to have you come and link this up!

    http://bubblynaturecreations.com/2012/03/project-party-weekend-pretty-striped-pencils-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you kidding me?! This is so, so darling!! I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by from the Weekend Wrap UP Party!!! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So stinking cute! I'd love for you to come link this up!

    http://www.reasonstoskipthehousework.com/2012/03/tuesday-time-out.html#.T1YnylHlyGc

    Melanie :)
    Reasons To Skip The Housework

    ReplyDelete