Cropped Top Tutorial



I have seen so many cropped tops lately. I thought it would be so easy and fun to make one, since it is basically a square or rectangle.

I had some of this polka dot fabric which I picked up at the fabric store last year. I just never got around to making anything.

I gotta say, I am really liking it.
I want to make at least one more for myself, perhaps in a solid color.
Next time I will have to cut the fabric a little wider so I can make the sleeves a little longer.




If you want to see how I made this top, stick around


First determine how long and wide you want your top.
I cut my rectangles 29X23


Next I found a shirt where I liked the neckline
I used it to trace the neckline on my fabric

(eek... I am using a permanent marker, hubby stole my fabric marker, his excuse was he loved how smoothly it wrote )


I made sure my front and back lined up at the shoulders



My fabric was kind of silky
In order to hem it, I folded down once and sewed



I used small scissors to cut of any extra fabric


Then I folded the fabric over twice and ironed the neckline/shoulders/and back


I sewed down the edge


After sewing the neckline, I ironed everything down


Here is how the finished neckline looks like


I bought a 7 inch heavy duty jeans zipper at Walmart for under $2
I folded the back portion in half and cut down about 6 inches to fit the zipper


Here is how I finished the zipper hole.
I think it would have looked really pretty with a button to.



Then I sewed on the zipper with matching thread.
Exposed zippers are so easy!



Here is the finished zipper


This is how the inside looks like:


Then I sewed the shoulders together and ironed open the seams



Then I eyeballed how I wanted the "sleeve" to look and marked it with a pencil.
I sewed along the line and then cut off the access fabric:




To make sure both of my sides matched up, I folded the shirt in half and marked where I needed to sew the other side


Once I sewed that side together I cut off the access fabric


I used a small zig zag stitch to finish both of the sides


Then I used an old shirt of mine with a rounded bottom as a template for the hem.
For the front I just flipped the shirt upside down to get the "cropped look"



I cut the "cropped" front and longer back.
Then I just hemmed the bottom using the same method I did with neckline



That's it!

I managed to sew the top and take the pictures all during my little mans nap time.
That should tell you how fast and easy it was!

Here are a few pictures

Back:




Front:



Side:

Thanks for visiting!

25 comments:

  1. love it! great job and fantastic tutorial!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cute!! I love the fabric you chose, and it looks great on you! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is fantastic! I love how easy it seems! I'm hosting a Favorite Things linky party and would love it if you stop by and post something!
    -Melissa
    http://serendipityandspice.blogspot.com/2012/01/manic-monday-linky-party-3.html?utm_source=BP_recent

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I´m mother of two from Czech rep. and I really love your blog! thnak for a big hug of inspiration, tutorials!

    you look great in these ;;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute...I should make a few of these to wear over the ever-beautiful nursing tank tops, haha! I definitely need to follow you, you have great ideas!
    Come by for a visit sometime if you get a chance,
    Catherine
    tbc-tobecontinued.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter just declared this "super cute". They're awesome! I'd love for you to link this up to my party (You could win $20 of vintage jewelry just for linking up). http://trophyw.blogspot.com/2012/01/will-craft-forfree-jewelry.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute!

    Thanks so much for joining our Impossibilities challenge!

    Linda
    itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job and super cute... I love how the back is longer than the front!

    Blessings,
    Diana @ http://AnyoneCanDecorate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this! I have the perfect fabric to make something like this! Pinning now so I can come back later!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! found you through handmade 52. I have some great fabric to try this with. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your top! The combination of the red/white and the exposed zipper is great, and I can't believe how easy it was to make - might have to go searching through the cupboard for some appropriate material to make one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really cute. Might have to add this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for linking up...Lisa Leonard Designs giveaway just started on my blog!! Stop by if you haven't entered yet...


    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks super cute! You make it sound so easy too. I will file this is the summer project list :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute! I love anything in a cute polka dot! And the shape is awesome. Would be delighted for you to share this at Mop it Up Mondays: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/02/mop-it-up-mondays-party-2.html

    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it, thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love the exposed zipper!

      thanks for sharing on make it monday!

      Delete
  17. Wow! It looks great...and you make it look so simple! Thanks so much for linking up at Shine on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This top came out great!

    Thanks for linking it up to the challenge!
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Lady!! I just wanted to let you know I featured your cute shirt on Blissful and Domestic tonight. Stop by and grab a button:>

    http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/2012/02/25-wearable-refashions.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good job on the cute top! I learned to sew when my daughter was a baby and I still enjoy it 20 something years later! Keep up the good work! ~ Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've made 2 for my daughter! Thanks so much: http://trophyw.blogspot.com/2012/02/crop-shirt.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. such a cute top! I could probably never get the neckline to lay so smooth!

    ReplyDelete