As you may know, we just finished remodeling our kitchen. We were on a tight budget of $4,000 (that includes the appliances)
So when I was researching affordable options for counter tops, I saw this post, and I was in love. I loved the butcher block, I loved the stain on the counters, and I loved the under mount sink.
So after showing the post to my hubby, and doing a little bit of research, we decided to go with the IKEA Beech Counter Tops.
Unfortunately, our local IKEA did not have any in stock. So we had to go on a road trip to Seattle to pick the counters up.
For our kitchen we got one piece that was 49" X 25" ( for $89)
and two pieces that were 73" X 39 " ($195 each)
We did almost everything the same as Vanessa at This and That,
We started out with measuring our counters.
Here is the thing, We did not take off our counter tops until right before we were ready to install the new counter tops. We just got very precise measurements and worked on the butcher block counters.
I saw posts where people took off their counters and were without a kitchen sink for days or even weeks. Yeah, I was not going to have that. I told my husband, NO WAY!
So back to the measurements, hubby and brother in law measured once, twice and three times, until they were sure and then they finally cut the counter tops.
They used table saw to cut the straight lines and a skilsaw to cut the sink hole.
(this is where I do not have pictures :( sorry)
Next they sanded everything down.
Just like Vanessa at This and That said, a belt sander is very important. Especially since we had to finish the edges and the under mount sink hole.
After everything was sanded down (trust me, this was not a one day thing. My hubby and brother in law worked on cutting and sanding the counters a little at a time after work for about 2 weeks. The wait and anticipation nearly drove me crazy.
But finally The counters were ready for staining and sealing.
First we wiped down the counters with tact cloths and applied a coat of wood conditioner with a old rag.
We left the wood conditioner over night.
The next day, we applied a coat of stain:
We went with Miniwax Special Walnut #224
We applied it with staining pads. I tried regular brushes and foam brushes, but didn't like the outcome.
With the staining pads, I could control how much stain I had on it by squeezing the access out.
The important thing is to start at one end and go in a straight line all the way across to have even stain.
We let the first coat dry for 2 days and then did another coat.
After 2 coats of stain, I lightly sanded the counters and wiped everything down.
Then I sealed the counters using waterlox (with staining pads), which I had to buy on Amazon, since no place near me carries it.
After 5 coats of waterlox, We let the counters dry and cure for 4 days.
After the sealant dried, we installed the under mount sink using the clips that came with it and some clear adhesive
We bought the sink at Home Depot
The faucet is from Lowes
Then the day finally came around when we could rip out those old nasty laminate counters and put in our beautiful butcher block counters.
It only took a hammer to rip them out!
Then we installed the new counter tops using these, which came with the counters:
Hubby put some clear adhesive in all the edges and creases.
Here is a close up shot of a edge we had to finish with a belt sander, I think it looks pretty close to the original edge.
And that wraps it up!! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask :)
And just because I can not resist, here a few more shots of the counter tops:
Thank you for visiting :)