Monday, October 24, 2011

Painted Orange Curtains





I am working on my craft room and wanted to bring a pop of color in with some curtains.

Lately I have been really into orange. Which is a very bold color and I have no idea why I really like it now. Maybe because it is fall and I am seeing orange everywhere.

I had a old pair of curtains which I took from the dining room (you can check out that project here)
At first, I wanted to dye them with RIT, but the RIT box says not to dye polyester. And these curtains are 100% polyester, so I did not want to risk it.

So instead I bought 2 16oz bottles of orange acrylic paint from the craft store
(they were $4 each)

Total I spent on this project was $8.00!
I had the textile medium and black paint on hand already



You want to see how I made the curtains?

Read on:

First decide how wide you want the stripes and tape off. I made mine 6 inches wide:



The taping was the hardest part of this project

It took me about an hour to do both curtains:



Here is the paint I used
I also added textile medium

I did two parts paint and one part textile medium:


I thought the orange was to bright, and Micheal's did not have much choice in the bigger bottles of paint.
So I just added 2 drops of black paint to every 8 oz to mute it a bit



Mix very well


Paint on to your curtain, I just used a sponge brush:



I first painted the edges dragging the paint towards the inside
Then I filled in the center


When I was finished it was 12am

So I just let them dry overnight



The next day I took off the tape

Oh so pretty...


I tried to be very careful on not getting any paint on the curtain, but I did.

Here is the spot:


I took some rubbing alcohol


drenched a spot on a rag and rubbed it



This is as good as I got with the alcohol



Then I took my bleach pen



But I still could not get the stain out completely :(

So try to be very careful if you plan on doing this

And if any of you know how to get rid of acrylic paint, please let me know :)






Nothing like a tight budget to bring out your creative side.. eh?

My husband thought I was crazy for doing this, but he loved how they turned out.

I can't wait to finish this craft room and share it with you all


Thanks for visiting :)



23 comments:

  1. i love them... maybe because orange is my favorite color:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did the same thing last night but for my living room! The orange looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! They look so great :)

    Your blog is awesome!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so bold and beautiful! You did a great job. I'd love for you to stop by and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party at www.laughloveandcraft.com. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those curtains. The color is awesome. Thanks so much for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! Love the orange and white for a happy craft room! I'd like to know how to get acrylic paint out of fabric too. Made a few boo boo's on my Painted Halloween bags that I had to cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE painting fabrics!! Your curtains turned out fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great thrifty idea! Love the way they turned out. :)
    Visiting from TTJ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving these painted curtains and the color! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great! I want to do this with a stencil I have. Thank you so much for sharing this!
    I'd love for you to link up to my very first Fresh Friday Link Party!
    http://www.releasemecreations.com/2011/10/fresh-fridays-link-party.html
    -Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's a You Tube video that clames to get the paint out. Hope that helps. http://youtu.be/S_T764aVvtQ I love your curtains, I think they've inspired me to fix mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Three of my favorite things in one project--window treatments, wide horizontal stripes, and ORANGE! Fantastic!

    By they way, you're missing about five characters in your blog's HTML template that's causing it to say "style='clear: both;'" before every commenter's name. If you want help fixing it, I'd be happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are adorable! I've been wanting to do something like this but for my bedroom...now I can with your tutorial. Would love it if you would link this up to our Rockin' link party going on now at RoCa and Company. Here is the link: http://rocaandcompany.blogspot.com/2011/10/you-rock-7.html. Come and show off what you got. Hope to see you there...

    Remember...YOU ROCK!!

    Carmen @ RoCa and Company
    www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look wonderful and add a lot of color to the room! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Genius! They look great!
    Thanks for linking up to Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ever since I saw these last week I've been thinking about them! I featured your curtains today on Sew Woodsy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did a search and saw either Pine-sol or Windex suggested (individually, not mixed together).

    This was odd, and I find it necessary to share in case anyone else gets a laugh out of it, while search for "remove acrylic paint from fabric", one of the suggested searches was "remove acrylic paint from dog". I don't even want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We live neer Cincinnati and the Dollar Rree carries "LA's Totally Awesome". It is a concentrated cleaner and it is AWESOME! It gets Everything out. You post is a couple of months old so you may have figured out a way to get the pain out already, but thought I would share

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this but the only question is how do you wash the curtains with the paint on them?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm coming late to the discussion, but it seems like you could just dab at the orange paint smudge and tuch it up with white paint over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  21. White paint is a great idea. I tend to go for quick and simple so I would probably just use white out or some of this "sneaker white" I have in a bottle with a foam brush at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  22. White paint is a great idea. I tend to go for quick and simple so I would probably just use white out or some of this "sneaker white" I have in a bottle with a foam brush at the top.

    ReplyDelete