Skirt Refashion


So, I was at the thrift store, on my way to the back of the store,where all the good stuff is :)
I usually never go through the clothes,
but this time something stood out and I just had to check it out.

It was red, it had polka dots and it was nautical.
What more can a girl ask for, right?:


Although the fabric was pretty, the skirt was ugly and falling apart:
(I believe my mom and aunts used to have a similar skirt in the early 90's)




This skirt was a 4 petite and did not fit me.
No worries, now that I have started sewing, I knew I had a lot of fabric to work with.
So I picked up the skirt for $3.00, Here is what I turned it in to:


What do you think? I made it into a elastic skirt
with a waist that kind of looks like a paper bag skirt.
To see how I made it and more pictures, read on:


First I cut off the waist:


I cut cut off the zipper portion:



Then, I used my seam ripper and ripped apart all of the pleats:

Then I ironed out the folds from the pleats,
I measured and found out that I had 2 1/2 yards of fabric!
Lots to work with:

For the measurements, I just measured my waist and times it by two.
example, my waist is 34 X 2: 68

So I cut two pieces 34 inches wide.

I put right sides together, and sewed the two together:



Then I had to create the casing. First I folded and ironed down a inch:



I was using 1 1/2 inch wide elastic, So I needed to create a casing to fit it, and still have a little paper bag skirt effect.

So I folded the fabric about 3 1/2 inches and ironed:




Then I marked a inch all around the skirt so I could sew and straight line:




I sewed straight over the marked part.
Then I needed to sew the bottom part to create the casing.
I sewed about a quarter of a inch, all the way around leaving a gap about 3 inches to insert the elastic:


Then I inserted the elastic:



I overlapped the elastic and sewed back and forth a few times.
Then I sewed the gap closed:


Then I finished the hem (not pictured)
I also created and sewed on three belt loops (not pictured)


That's It!

I love this skirt, I have always wanted to red polka dot skirt and now I have one.

Best of all, it only cost me $3.00!





I declare this refashion a success.

Thanks for visiting :)

Rita

linking up here



Featured on



36th Avenue



34 comments:

  1. I love this! I never would have thought to take out the pleats. What an awesome idea. As always love all you do:>

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable. that last picture is so cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative! I love upcycling.
    Happy Fourth of July!
    crafty texas girls

    ReplyDelete
  4. No way, $3.00!! That is too cool ;) It looks great on you. I agree with you...a success!! Thanks so much for sharing and linking up with us today. Hope to see you at our party again.
    Britney
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute skirt! I especially like the look of the paper bag waistline!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! I like it.
    Esther (http://happyinred.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this skirt - I can see why the fabric grabbed your attention! Great refashion!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this skirt, especially the waistline!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great skirt! I've had a refashion similar to this in mind for a skirt I just thrifted, too! Nice fabric-lucky finding that!! :) Very nice tutorial, too. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great skirt refashion! Great idea to take out the pleats- I would not have considered that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, great job. That looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. very pretty luv the idea...
    Don’t forget to add it to our linking party for our readers to discover your blog at

    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/06/2011-4th-of-july-celebration-menu-from.html
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what you've done with the skirt. And the step by step process is great. I'd love if you would check out something similar I've done. You can find it here.

    http://sarahstruss.blogspot.com/2011/06/clothing-re-do-aloha-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a beautiful job! And I think the style is very flattering on you. Isn't refashioning fun?!

    Warmly,
    Stephanie Hillberry

    ReplyDelete
  15. This skirt looks great! It takes someone who knows that they are doing to rip something apart and create something new and wearable! I found you through so woodsy! I am now following your blog. I would love a "follow back" if you have a chance! Come see me at www.cookieandclaire.blogspot.com
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done! I love red polka dots too :) I thrifted a hideous dress awhile ago for its red and white polka dot fabric and have used bits of it here and there... my latest was an Ohio applique on a baby tee :)

    There's a photo of it here if you're interested: http://sewing-chick.blogspot.com/2011/07/upcycled-baby-shirt-goodness.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! I love the belt loops! Thank you so much for linking up to Sew Woodsy today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is an amazing recycled refashion!!! Great find for $3.00 and so cute on you!! Stopping by from Ninth Street Notions linky party and your newest follower.

    Here is what I shared at the party: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2011/06/summer-pillows.html

    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so cute! What a great thrifting find :)

    Saw you over at Christina's Adventures. I'd love to have you link this up to my link party as well, Your Whims Wednesday. It's up until Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did it again... so much talent!

    I love this skirt...are you smelling STICKERS? Because I am... ;)

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute! I love it! Thanks for sharing.
    Andee
    P.S. visiting from 36th ave

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is so cute! it looks awesome on you and you did a great job taking it apart and putting it back together. :)


    the style projects

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great re-fashion! I recently did something similar with a skirt that had a cute ruffle on the bottom but was a tad too small! Isn't it fun to be able to sew?!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the nautical look! Such a great job upcycling!
    Jenny
    www.seaminglysmitten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so cute. I really want to try something like this! Thanks for partying with me this week over at 365 days 2 simplicity's Simply Creative blog party. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous. I love your refashion. It suits you and your tutorial is great to follow. And 3 bucks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks fantastic. And the material is so cute. I'm jealous of your sewing skills :)

    http://jacabag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi!

    I just want to let you know that I am featuring your skirt tomorrow on my blog...

    Thank you so much for sharing it at my link party!

    Hope to see you there again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for linking up to Sew Woodsy last week. I love this skirt! You were tied with 4 other bloggers for the reader's choice. You can go take a look at your feature on Sew Woodsy! Congrats & I look forward to you linking up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this skirt! The paperbag waist is perfect on it, I'll have to try this. Pinning it for later!

    www.jensownroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I featured this on my twitter page! hope to see you link up to Your Whims Wednesday again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is seriously so cute! I love the fabric! I don't know if I could have looked at that skirt and envisioned what you did. You are one talented chick! :) We just wanted to stop by and thank you for linking up to our first link party last week. We appreciate your support so much! We would love to have you stop by again this week and link up more of your great things at Strut Your Stuff Saturday!
    -The Six Sisters
    sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is darling! What a fun idea - that fabric was too good to pass up. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete