Shabby Apple Inspired Dress



As I was browsing over the lovely dresses at Shabby Apple, I stopped at this one, I thought, hey, I have a green t shirt I haven't worn in years and I happen to have some navy striped fabric leftover from this project. I can make myself a dress like this!

And I did it! It isn't identical, but I wasn't trying to copy the dress at shabby apple, just use it as inspiration. I am really happy on how it turned out, very cute and comfortable, best of all, it didn't cost me anything!!:



I started out with this t shirt from Forever 21, which I got years ago, But I never liked the turtle neck and it was to tight in the stomach:


I used my seam ripper and took off the turtle neck and the bottom part under the empire waist:

I made a elastic skirt. You can use this tutorial for more detail.

I measured my waist and cut the elastic to fit. I cut fabric double as wide as the elastic and sewed the seams:

I sewed my elastic:

I attached the elastic to the skirt (right sides together) I made sure the seam on the elastic lines up with the seam on the fabric:

I made some pleats, stretching the fabric as I pinned the pleats:

I sewed the fabric to the elastic, while stretching the elastic:

Then I inserted the t shirt into the skirt part (right sides together) and sewed the elastic to the shirt:

I measured and determined how long I wanted the dress to be, I cut off the access:

I ironed the hem about one inch:

And then folded over again and ironed:

I sewed the hem:

For the neckline, I trimmed it up a bit (for easy access for nursing) then I made a thin braid with some of the left over fabric from the bottom of the shirt:

And hand sewed it onto the neckline:

Then I made a thicker one and hand sewed it right underneath the thiner braid:

Like so:

Thats it!!





Linking up here

25 comments:

  1. Your dress is adorable! Great job, I love it! I just sewed myself a green and navy striped dress today. But opposite---green on bottom. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are seriously amazing girl. I am always in aw by what you do! Come and say hi and enter my Jamberry nail giveaway!

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my favorite dress at Shabby Apple right now. I love your version. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh! I like your's even better that the Shabby Apple dress! It is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I'm featuring this on my Facebook Page today! http://www.facebook.com/SewChatty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You for featuring me on your page :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really, really cute! I love the braided trim!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is too cute! I love the fabric choose. It looks better than the shabby apple one:> Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for all of your comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice detailing on the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay wow, really great job and nice touch with the braiding...wow!
    I LOVE making skirts from shirts too...so easy and the hard stuff is already done for you.
    Hope you have a chance to come check out my blog sometime: http://retrohipmama.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO cute! I just recently added that dress from Shabby Apple to my Closet Board on Pinterest, but would have never thought to try to make it myself! It turned out so well! I'm very impressed! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I agree, your dress is prettier than the Shabby Apple! Great job! I am always impressed with anyone who can sew!! I just learned at the age of 40!! Thanks for stopping by Three Pixie Lane!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is seriously ADORABLE! I agree with everyone else that it's even cuter than the Shabby Apple version! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute! I love the double braid you put at the neckline! That is awesome that you have a new dress for FREE! Free is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! Great job and so cute :) The braided neckline is a great touch, I may have to do that to some of my shirts!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cute! Looks comfy too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok, I just saw your gold glitter heels and now this amazing dress - you have skills girl! REALLY good work!! Love them both : )
    Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You did an amazing job on this dress. I might even like it better than the Shabby Apple one. I also like the touch of the two braids on the shirt. So cute and I love how comfortable it looks. I really need to try this out!
    thanks for sharing! :)

    justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great refashion! Love the color combination!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah, lovely. I need to make more of this stuff for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, friend! I'm admiring all your creative posts here. Can you please share them at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is darling. I love the braided detail on the collar.
    Emily
    domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, this is WONDERFUL!!! I LOVE the braids suggestion!!! I have so many shirts that are too tight but I LOVE!! I've got plans now!! THANKYOU!!!

    ReplyDelete