I had a vision in my head of these perfect curtains for my two windows downstairs. They black/white and very bold.
My white curtains just were not working for me anymore. They just blended right into the walls. Since there isn't an option for us to paint right now, I wanted to change the curtains.
But after visiting a couple stores and searching online, I couldn't find what I was looking for. I considered just getting 4 black curtain panels at Target, but didn't want to settle for something I wasn't completely happy with.
So I decided that if I could make make a shower curtain, then why not try and make my "vision" curtains my self.
I couldn't find any wide striped fabric. The closest I found was this. It had a great price to, but it wasn't what I was looking for.
So I went to Target and bought:
1 white queen flat sheet $11.99(for the sliding door panels)
1 black queen flat sheet $11.99 (was enough for stripes on all 4 panels)
1 white full flat sheet $9.99 (for window in family room)
Total cost: $33.97
And I made 4 curtain panels. Now they are not perfect, But I am really glad I went ahead and made them.
First I folded my curtain horizontally in half and ironed it to get that nice ironed edge:
Then I took my scissors and cut the curtain in half on that ironed edge:
Since I was working with a sheet, one of the edged on both of the panels was already finished. So I just finished the other edge by folding and ironing down 1/2 a inch:
Then another 1/2 inch:
Then I sewed the edge:
For the bottom, I measured the length I wanted, I didn't have to cut any fabric, I just folded it up (about 4 inched) twice and ironed and sewed:
Now came the part of the stripes.
First I devided the Queen sheet in half horizontally (each half gave me 8 stripes which was enough for 2 panels)
I used a big carpenters square, cutting mat, tape measure and rotary cutter to insure that I got the perfect stripe.
I cut each stripe 10 inches wide.
My little helper :)
Then I ironed each edge of the stripe Half a inch:
I determined/measured/marked where I wanted each stripe on the panel and pinned in place:
Since the stripe was to long, I cut it and folded under and pinned:
Now I sewed a rectangle around each stripe:
linking to these awesome blogs